In the current project I am working on, there are certain characters within a string that identify a part that get decoded before they enter the database. In this partial of the string, it used to contain a dash
DDA-7.5 like so. They are both identifiers that represent different things. I can
explode this out the split the string by the dash to get one part of the string for the model name at the beginning and the capacity number at the end. Done!
Currently, I am on a quest to build a social network for developers and using the Django REST Framework to build out the API backend. While working on the anonymous feed endpoint I came accross this in the ListView
Recently, I tackled an interesting problem with an app I’m building. Just for context and without going into too much detail, this system is a management admin for guidance counselors to help manage their patients who are students in High School. I had to build a feature that generated five surveys with incrementing deadlines every time a new client was entered into the system. Easy enough right? Well, every survey generated a number of questions and categories per survey. This could mean hundreds of questions could be created at one time, thus slowing down the response time since everything would be running synchronously and waiting for all of the insert queries to complete. It was obvious that I couldn’t just create those records right in the controller, I had to process those tasks in the background.
I love learning and talking about programming languages. Mostly enjoy a different way of thinking that comes with it. Bring up Haskell? We’ll talk about Monads and functional programming. Clojure? Let’s talk about transducers. Bringing up Go? Let’s talk about go routines, concurrency and striving for simplicity.
2019 really had it’s ups-and-downs. It sure tested me as a living being. It was a wild year and it made me think what is REALLY important in my life; everything ranging from my own development career to friends and family. That being said, I’m glad the year is behind me and can’t wait to start 2020 with a fresh state-of-mind.
A lot of times at the office around lunch time, one of us will ask everyone what their lunch plans are via Slack. This leads to one or a couple of us to take in orders and go pick up lunch a group of co-workers. I’ve been interested in building bots, particularly Slack bots lately, and I felt this would be a perfect case to build one for this task.
I’ve been using and toying with Go for almost two years now. At the time I decided to learn the language, I was curious on what this language had to offer.
For web applications, it’s a common pattern to separate your backend (typically a REST API) from your front-end/user interface nowadays. It’s a practice that I’ve been using for all of my projects for the past year or so.
I’ve decided to start an open source project and fill another repository on my GitHub. Since I’ve been working more on the backend side and building services/REST APIs, I’ve had an urge to dedicate myself in this area. I thought it would a wonderful area to provide tooling for REST API development in Python.